Diuretic (water pill), increases urine flow!
Loop diuretics, a class of diuretic drug (water pill) that act at the ascending limb of the loop of Henle in the kidney. They inhibit the reabsorption of electrolyte (sodium, magnesium and calcium) and water back into the blood. Thus promote excessive urination.
Loop diuretic is useful in the effective treatment of liver disease, edema due to heart failure, kidney disease and high blood pressure (hypertension).
Torsemide is a loop diuretic, a class of diuretic (water pill) drugs and belongs to the family of sulphonamide. It is a schedule H drug (prescription drug). Torsemide got patent in 1974 and USFDA has approved it for medical use in 1993. Currently, it is available in the form of generic medication.
Torsemide is a widely prescribed medication for the treatment of
- fluid retention (edema) in people having congestive heart failure, kidney disease, chronic kidney failure or liver disease.
- Torsemide is also used alone or in combination with other antihypertensive drugs for the treatment of hypertension (high blood pressure).
How does Torsemide works?
Torsemide increases the urine output (diuresis) by facilitating more excretion of water and sodium through the kidney and thus relieving edema and lower blood pressure.
Torsemide is a loop diuretic; it works mainly by blocking the reabsorption (the process of absorbing something again) of electrolyte (primarily sodium) and water back into the blood that has been filtered out of blood in the kidneys.
Advantages of Torsemide:
- Lower risk of rehospitalization: In comparison with furosemide (a loop diuretic), torsemide has a lower risk of rehospitalization and is a safe and effective drug for the treatment of heart failure.
- Prolonged diuretic effects: Torsemide has more prolonged diuretic effects as compared to other loop diuretics.
Reduced excretion of potassium: As compared to furosemide, torsemide can cause less excretion of potassium through urine.
Side effects related to Torsemide:
USFDA approved torsemide as a safe and effective drug for the treatment of heart failure. It does not cause drowsiness, but like all other drugs, it can cause some side effects, although not everyone gets them.
Common side effects are Frequent urination, cough, sore throat, headache, ringing in your ears, constipation, diarrhoea, weakness and excessive thirst.
Serious side effects are Dehydration, unexplained weight loss, chest pain, severe allergic reaction (hives, skin rashes, itching, blisters or peeling skin) and trouble breathing or swallowing.
Torsemide comes with several warning/contraindication, and these are:
- Torsemide is a schedule H drug take it as per the prescription of your doctor.
- Do not take torsemide if you have prior episodes of severe allergic reaction like hives, itching, swelling of throat or tongue, trouble breathing and blisters.
- The intake of alcoholic beverages should be avoided as it increases the risk of low blood pressure and dizziness.
- Before taking the dose of torsemide to tell your doctor if you have: Liver disease, kidney disease, gout and diabetes (high blood sugar level).
- Torsemide is contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation (breastfeeding)
- Torsemide should not be used in children younger than 18 years.
- Dose adjustment should be required in older patients.
- Take the dose of torsemide as per your prescription. Follow all the instruction mentioned in a prescription given by the doctor.
- Torsemide can be taken with or without food.
- Keep taking torsemide as you have been told by your doctor, even if you feel better.
- If you missed a regular dose, then skip the missed dose, do not take 2 or extra doses at the same time, as it causes life-threatening (fatal) side effects.
- Torsemide causes excessive urination, so it is better to take medication before 6 pm this will help in reducing frequent urination problem during sleep.
Concluding, Torsemide is a safe and effective drug for the treatment of fluid retention (edema) and high blood pressure (hypertension). It has prolonged diuretic effects as compared to other loop diuretics.
Torsemide (TRMIDE 10mg and TRMIDE 20 mg) by Dr Best Pharmacy is a loop diuretic for the effective treatment of fluid retention (edema) and high blood pressure (hypertension). You can easily order this from pharmacy nearby and get the online medicines offers with maximum discounts of up to 80 %.
Dr Best Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd is endlessly working to provide a premium quality healthcare products in various therapeutic segments such as cardiovascular agents, anti-diabetic, gastrointestinal agents, antibiotic, OTC products, analgesics, lipid profile management and vitamins.