Thyroxine Sodium Tablets
Pack: 100 tablets.
Thyroxine sodium tablet 25 mg (Levothyroxine).
M.O.A: Levothyroxine is a synthetic form of thyroxine (an internal hormone secreted by the thyroid glands). It works by replacing or providing more thyroid hormone, which is generally produced by the thyroid gland. Enough thyroid hormone is essential for maintaining normal mental and physical activity of the body.
Uses: Thyroxine is primarily used for the treatment of hypothyroidism (deficiency of thyroid hormone) and myxedema coma (severe hypothyroidism). It is also used to treat goitre (an enlarged thyroid gland) and congenital hypothyroidism (cretinism). Currently, it is widely used along with radioactive iodine therapy and surgery for the treatment of thyroid cancer.
- Thyroxine sodium is a schedule H (prescription drug), take medicine as per the prescription of the doctor.
- It is safe for use during pregnancy and lactation (breastfeeding).
- Thyroxine sodium is used with caution in elderly patients.
- Before taking thyroxine sodium, explain any prior history of cardiovascular diseases and diabetes to your doctor.
- Thyroxine sodium should not be used for the treatment of male or female infertility and obesity associated with low thyroid level.
Dosage: It is a schedule H (prescription drug); hence, can be taken as per the prescription of the doctor.
Side effects: Some common side effects related to Thyroxine sodium tablet are nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, palpitations, alteration in menstrual cycle, nervousness and irritability, anxiety, mood changes, headache, diarrhea, insomnia, increased appetite, irregular heartbeat, temporary hair loss, fever, chest pain and discomfort, muscle weakness and flushing.