If Cholesterol is in normal level is good and essential substance of the body. But, if concentration of cholesterol increase in blood then it puts you in silent danger(Risk of heart attack.).
Cholesterol, It is found in every blood cell of the body and it has also very important function. Cholesterol helps in digesting foods, creating vitamin D and producing hormones.
Cholesterol is waxy and fat like in appearance, normally it is manufactured in body in but we can also get it from foods. Liver is responsible for the creation of all the cholesterol which we need form the diet which we eat.
There are two type of cholesterol:
- Low density lipoproteins,bad cholesterol(LDL) : LDL is responsible for delivering the cholesterol to the body.
- High density lipoproteins,good cholesterol(HDL) : HDL is responsible to removes cholesterol from the bloodstream.
Primary Functions of Cholesterol:
- It enable the body to make certain type of hormones.
- It also help in producing vitamin D
- In Intestine, It make digestive bile acids
- It also contribute in the structure of cell walls.
High cholesterol has significant risk factors of Heart Disease(Coronary heart disease) and it can also cause heart attacks, artery disease. If the cholesterol level is too high then deposits occurs in your arteries. The fatty which is deposits on the walls of the blood vessels can narrow and harden the blood vessels. Narrow blood vessels transport less oxygen rich blood and also decrease the blood supply.if the oxygen can’t reach the heart then it cause heart attack and of the properly blood is not reach to the brain than it cause stroke.
Being overweight and inactive also increase the level of Cholesterol. Smoking also increase high cholesterol because it reduces the level of High density lipoproteins.
To manage the levels of cholesterol, Reduce the intake diet which contain fats and do some more exercise. To maintain proper level and to reduce level of cholesterol limit the food which contain:
Cholesterol – Cheese, meat and animal foods
Saturated fat – Baked Food,fried, milk products, chocolate and processes foods.
Trans fats – Processed foods and also in fried foods.
Foods thats help in decreasing cholesterol levels:
- Vegetables oils
- Fatty fish
- Food rich in fiber
Take the food which is rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
Total Cholesterol Level : Less than 200 milligrams per deciliter(mg/dL) are considered healthy.
Low density lipoproteins(LDL) Level: Should be less than 100 milligrams per deciliter(mg/dL).
High density lipoproteins(HDL) Level: Should be more than 60 milligrams per deciliter(mg/dL).
Triglycerides: Should be less than 150 milligrams per deciliter(mg/dL).
Preventing High Cholesterol
The changes which reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and heart attack and to maintain the proper level of cholesterol.
- Eat heart Healthy Or Balanced Diet : Eat food which is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Regular Exercise : Gyming, walking, swimming and cycling
- Avoid Smoking : If you smoke please avoid it.
- Gain Healthy Weight : Weight has to be maintain properly.